Solar energy for households in rural areas
In Croatia there are still inhabited households in rural areas that have no access to electricity. The main objective of this project is to ensure that in the Republic of Croatia every household permanently remote from the power grid has access to electricity from locally produced renewable energy sources. A secondary goal is to create life conditions and to help economic development in rural areas that are remote from the power grid.
Most often these are the isolated objects or small hamlets several kilometers away from the power grid. In such cases, the construction of power grid is very expensive and unprofitable, since it is just for one or two potential users.
Therefore, households living in such facilities have been sentenced to a life without electricity, which directly means without sanitary, social and technological standards of living.
For solving the access to electricity, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Croatia, in cooperation with the Environmental Protection and Energy Efficiency Fund, College for Information Technologies and with the support of counties and municipalities is carrying out a project of the Rural electrification under which households are equipped with solar systems to produce electricity.
Eight solar systems are set by now and the plan is to install more than 50 solar systems for priority households.
So far, results are showing that the model of electrification of rural areas using solar systems is economically, socially and environmentally advantageous, and thus successful implementation of the project has enabled access to electricity to its final beneficiaries, employment of local residents on its installation and the production of electricity from clean, renewable energy sources.
For the objects several kilometers away from the power grid, solar systems are up to 25 times cheaper than building power grid close to the facility, taking into account the total cost of ownership in 25 years, the lifetime of the equipment and system maintenance.
- To ensure that in the Republic of Croatia every household permanently away from the power grid has access to electricity from locally produced renewable energy sources.
- To create life conditions and to help economic development in rural areas remote from the power grid.
- Realization of first systematic approach to the electrification of households using renewable energy sources in Croatia.
- To show how solar systems without connection to the grid, can meet the needs of the household electricity with much lower cost and in an environmentally favorable manner.
- The Environmental Protection and Energy Efficiency Fund
- Counties: Karlovac, Zadar, Požega-Slavonia, Lika-Senj, Sisak-Moslavina; cities of Benkovac and Obrovac, municipality Gračac
- College for Information Technologies
- State Office for Reconstruction and Housing Care
- HEP ESCO
- HEP ODS
- Serb National Council